The Certificate and Diploma in Managing Data Protection Compliance are data protection training courses that have been developed with practitioners in mind. The courses cover key aspects of the GDPR and other important data protection-related legislation, and focuses on practical implementation. As well as developing an understanding the important parts of relevant legislation, the courses spend time on information governance and managing risk, both vital for data protection compliance.
To book, the easiest option is to drop us an e-mail or use our enquiry form. Courses that are provisionally scheduled are shown on the course bookings page. If you are not sure which course is the one for you, please contact us.
These courses are suitable for those responsible for managing data protection compliance within their organisations, including GDPR implementation. They may also be suitable for those who are nominated as Data Protection Officers. These are intensive course and those attending would benefit from having a basic knowledge in the requirements of data protection legislation.
The course is usually held on 5 consecutive days, followed by separate assessments. For those wishing to achieve the Certificate, there is an extended answer exam usually held 2 – 4 weeks after course delivery. For those who would like to achieve the Diploma, in addition to passing the extended answer exam they must successfully complete a work-based assignment.
The course content will be continually updated to reflect current legislation applicable in the UK. It addresses requirements of the GDPR as well as relevant UK data protection law and covers:
- The development of data protection law and drivers for change
- Key definitions
- Data protection principles including the lawfulness of processing covering consent and privacy notices
- Special categories of personal data and information about criminal convictions
- Rights of the data subject
- Responsibilities of controllers and processors
- The requirements for a data protection officer
- Data protection by design and by default and prior consultation
- Information security
- Breach reporting
- Transfers to third countries and international organisations
- The role of the Information Commissioner and relevant offences
- Applying key codes of practice:
- Data sharing
- Marketing (including reference to the Privacy and Electronic Communications)
- Employment code of practice
- Surveillance cameras
- Managing risk
- Data protection impact assessments in practice
- Information governance
The costs for completing this course ranges from £1,600 (attendance only) to £2,275 for the Diploma. All costs quoted are exclusive of VAT. If you have 3 people or more that require data protection or GDPR training please ask us about available discounts. If you have 4 or more, it is likely to be move cost effective to arrange in house. Please contact us for details.
There are up to three assessments that are completed as part of this course:
- The first is a 1 hour multiple choice exam, usually held on the afternoon of day 3. Successful candidates will be awarded the Certificate in Data Protection Compliance.
- The second assessment is a 2.5 hour extended answer exam, usually run 2 to 4 weeks after the course. Successful candidates will be awarded the Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance.
- The final assessment is a work-based assignment. Those that successfully complete the assignment will be awarded the Diploma in Managing Data Protection Compliance.
Please note that this is a progressive award scheme and therefore candidates must achieve the pass mark in each assessment before being eligible to move on to the next level.
We run this course in locations throughout the UK – see our scheduled courses for available course dates.
We will always arrange additional courses if there is sufficient demand – please contact us to register an interest. If you have 3 or more staff requiring training, it may be more cost effective to arrange in house training. Please contact us for details.
Depending upon which assessments are completed, successful attendees will receive a qualification certificate for either the Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance or the Diploma in Managing Data Protection Compliance. These qualifications are approved, quality assured and certificated by the SQA, one of the UK’s 4 qualification regulators.
For further information, please see our course leaflets:
- Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance certificated by the SQA
- Diploma in Managing Data Protection Compliance certificated by the SQA
Or contact us.
Other Training Courses and Qualifications
We offer a Certificate in Data Protection Compliance, which is a 1 day training course ideal for those requiring a basic understanding of data protection legislation.
Tkm also offers the following qualifications from the BCS: