The Certificate and Diploma in Managing Data Protection Compliance are data protection training courses that have been developed with practitioners in mind. The courses cover key aspects of the GDPR and other important data protection-related legislation, and focuses on practical implementation. As well as developing an understanding the important parts of relevant legislation, the courses spend time on information governance and managing risk, both vital for data protection compliance.
These courses are suitable for those responsible for managing data protection compliance within their organisations, including GDPR implementation. They may also be suitable for those who are nominated as Data Protection Officers. These are intensive course and those attending would benefit from having a basic knowledge in the requirements of data protection legislation.
The course is usually held on 5 consecutive days, followed by separate assessments. For those wishing to achieve the Certificate, there is an extended answer exam usually held 2 – 4 weeks after course delivery. For those who would like to achieve the Diploma, in addition to passing the extended answer exam they must successfully complete a work-based assignment.
The course content will be continually updated to reflect current legislation applicable in the UK. It addresses requirements of the GDPR as well as relevant UK data protection law and covers:
- The development of data protection law and drivers for change
- Key definitions
- Data protection principles including the lawfulness of processing covering consent and privacy notices
- Special categories of personal data and information about criminal convictions
- Rights of the data subject
- Responsibilities of controllers and processors
- The requirements for a data protection officer
- Data protection by design and by default and prior consultation
- Information security
- Breach reporting
- Transfers to third countries and international organisations
- The role of the Information Commissioner and relevant offences
- Applying key codes of practice:
- Data sharing
- Marketing (including reference to the Privacy and Electronic Communications)
- Employment code of practice
- Surveillance cameras
- Managing risk
- Data protection impact assessments in practice
- Information governance
There are up to three assessments that are completed as part of this course:
- The first is a 1 hour multiple choice exam, usually held on the afternoon of day 3. Successful candidates will be awarded the Certificate in Data Protection Compliance.
- The second assessment is a 2.5 hour extended answer exam, usually run 2 to 4 weeks after the course. Successful candidates will be awarded the Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance.
- The final assessment is a work-based assignment. Those that successfully complete the assignment will be awarded the Diploma in Managing Data Protection Compliance.
Please note that this is a progressive award scheme and therefore candidates must achieve the pass mark in each assessment before being eligible to move on to the next level.
We run this course in locations throughout the UK. We will always arrange additional courses if there is sufficient demand – please contact us to register an interest. If you have 3 or more staff requiring training, it may be more cost effective to arrange in house training. Please contact us for details.
Depending upon which assessments are completed, successful attendees will receive a qualification certificate for either the Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance or the Diploma in Managing Data Protection Compliance. This qualification is approved and quality assured by the SQA, one of the UK’s 4 qualification regulators.
Other Training Courses and Qualifications
We also offer a Certificate in Data Protection Compliance, which is a 1 day training course. This is ideal for those requiring a basic understanding of data protection legislation.